Monday, December 7, 2009

Fried Asparagus


We were in charge of bringing rolls, veggies and a pie for Thanksgiving. I started out wanting to bring carrots that I learned how to make at Williams and Sonoma, but then I had a craving for asparagus. On a road trip someone made us grilled asparagus with a yummy sauce. So I tried making the sauce but didn't have the proportions right, so then I remembered TGIF had crispy bean appetizers, so I decided I should try crispy asparagus. I found a recipe online, but it didn't work out how it said it should, so I made up my own. THEY WERE YUMMY! The kids loved them, and Evan who doesn't like asparagus loved them too! I will definitely make them again.


Ingredients:
1-2 cups Progresso bread crumbs (i combined the herb and parmesan flavored crumbs)
1-2 lbs asparagus
2 eggs
1-2 cups water
1 cup flour
big bowl of water with lots of ice cubes for blanching
Oil for frying in a large soup pot


Blanch Asparagus.
Snap off the end of the asparagus-the natural break- and boil asapragus for 2 minutes. Immediately take them out of the water, drain them and put them in a big bowl of water and lots of ice(an ice bath).

Dry asparagus and roll them in flour. Set aside.

Heat:
oil in soup pot to a nice frying temperature, not too hot. I think I kept mine on a 4-5. Only about an inch of oil. (the soup pot is to protect you from splattering oil)

Mix:
2 eggs and bread crumbs, add water until a good batter is formed. Not to thick, and not to runny, you will find the perfect combo once you try battering the asparagus.

Roll:
Roll asparagus in batter coating as much as you can and fry about 6 pieces at a time until golden brown.

Serve with your favorite sauce or by themselves. If you have to make ahead of time, just broil to become crispy again before serving.






No comments:

Post a Comment